Monday, May 6, 2013

Other Sports

May 6, 2013
Christy Robbins

Sports In P.E
I believe that more sports from different countries should be incorporated in the American physical education curriculum. This should occur because that way when sports are played in class there is a more level playing field amongst the students. The sports can also widen the students knowledge of other countries and cultures around the world. Games like cricket, hurling, Gaelic football and many more also meet a lot of the standards that are required by state and national standards. New sports can also be new opportunities for children who may not be good at "American sports".

2 comments:

  1. I think that this is a great idea! I have never played any of the sports that you mentioned, but they seem like a lot of fun and I want to learn to play them. Teaching students sports from other countries would be a great thing to do. They could learn how to play a sport from a country that they are learning about in their social studies class. This is a great way from then to link what they are doing in other classes to their physical education classes. Also, the students would be able to learn a sport that they would not have the opportunity to learn anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! We played Gaelic football when we went to Ireland and it was so much fun! Sports from other countries would go over very well in high schools and makes it more difficult for students to discriminate against the sports by the "stereotypical" athletes for the sports. Also, other countries seem to know more about America then Americans do. The least we could do is learn a little bit about them.

    ReplyDelete